Thursday, October 16, 2014

throw pillow with embroidery wrapped piping

The inspiration for this project came from this simple, but gorgeous pillow at Anthropologie.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-room/33613936.jsp#/

I thought about doing a metallic thread, but after seeing this pillow tutorial, I thought it would be fun to use a bright color instead.  It definitely would be out of the ordinary for me and it's good to step outside of the box sometimes.


I made this pillow with an envelope closure; you can see my tutorial for that here.  I was going to buy white piping, but my daughter was with me and she picked out lime green.  Also, they were out of white, so we went ahead and used the lime green.  The embroidery floss I used is DMC color 891, found at my local craft store.


Make the pillow following the instructions on the tutorial.  To wrap the piping, knot the end of the embroidery floss and and start from the inside.  Bring your needle out at the base of the piping and stitch around the piping, wrapping the floss around it to cover it.  You can use a satin stitch to make it smooth and perfect, but I like the way it looks with some of the floss overlapping itself a few times and then other spots being a little more smooth.  When you run out of floss, bring the needle back inside and knot it.  Keeping all of your knots inside the pillow will keep the outside looking neat and clean.  To finish this, I needed about 4 1/2 skeins.  While this is a really simple project, it is time consuming.  It took a few weeks to get it done, not because it took that long, but because I don't have large chunks of free time.  It's a great activity to do while watching a show, which is exactly what I did any time my husband and I watched something.


It's a fun way to get the exact color piping you want with a fun texture.  If you tackle this project, I would love to see them.  Link it up in the comments!