Monday, May 12, 2014

motherhood

I hope you all had a beautiful Mother's Day!  I wanted to write a little something about motherhood, but didn't get a chance to do so before the weekend.  First I want to express how incredibly blessed I feel to be a mother to two beautiful children.  Every night I go to bed and think about how our day went and I always come back to the same thought: my kids are amazing.  Not because they did anything especially noteworthy that day, but because they are so sweet and loving, so funny and smart, and most of all, they're so patient with me.  I try to do the best I can, but I'm not perfect and I make mistakes, but my kids always forgive me and love me regardless of my flaws.  And for that, they are absolutely amazing.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_-BsjlQ6STkMmNLZ2pqWFRSdWM/edit?usp=sharing

I created this free printable.  If you'd like it, click on the image to download and print. For personal use only, please.

My husband gave me a beautiful handmade frame that has this quote on it, "Motherhood is near to divinity.  It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind," by Howard W. Hunter of the LDS Church.  I love that quote so much and often times it makes me feel totally inadequate, but then I remember that through the Lord, nothing is impossible.

But not to get all preachy, I really wanted to say thank you to my mom!  She has always set such a great example for me and my sisters of womanhood and motherhood.  I aspire to be like her and hope that I can be a good example to my daughter as well.


My mom is strong and independent and she instilled those qualities in me and my sisters.  I moved from Florida to Utah a few months after I graduated from high school and I lived on my own for over 4 years before meeting my husband.  Because of my mom, I wasn't afraid to make that decision and I felt capable enough to go to school and work to provide for myself, which ultimately resulted in me being successful in doing so.  I wouldn't be the person I am today without my mom and I'm so grateful that she never gave up on me, even when I gave her real trouble during my teenage years.


Our influence over our children starts from birth, maybe even before, and I have been so blessed with a mom who has always been a good influence.  And I'm also grateful for my mother-in-law!  My husband is so sweet and thoughtful and caring, not just with me, but with our children too and I know he learned to be that way from his mom.  She has been such a great influence in his life and I'm so grateful for the influence she has on my kids as well.  I truly believe that moms and women in general can change the world.  They have the capacity to feel things in ways that men can't and if we use our influence for good, wonderful things will happen.  So, even though Mother's Day is over, let's keep on celebrating all the moms and women in our lives who have had a positive impact on us!