Friday, May 16, 2014

DIY - Pom-trimmed Duvet Cover

For months, maybe even longer, I've been searching for a duvet cover for my daughter's bed that isn't too frilly or to babyish, one that she could grow up with, at least through elementary school maybe, and that proved to be impossible.  I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg on one and all the ones that I liked were way out of my price range.  So I decided that the only reasonable alternative was to make one.  But first, I had to figure out how I wanted it to look, which took way too long.  I finally decided that I wanted it to be solid white, but to have a little something extra so it wasn't just plain, because obviously I could just buy a solid white duvet for like $20.  Then it occurred to me: pompom trim!  Why is it that pretty much anything miniature is by default adorable?  Pompom trim is probably my most favorite thing in the sewing world ever, it's so darn cute!  At first I thought about doing yellow, but then I was worried that doing so would narrow down any decor I could do in her room, so I changed my mind on that and decided to do black instead.  And seriously, white and black is such a great and classic combo, how could you go wrong?  Well, you can't because it turned out freakin' awesome.


To make this duvet cover, I used two of these $4 flat sheets from Ikea and 6.75 yards of pompom trim; I bought mine at Joann's with a 55% off coupon, so it was really cheap.  Just an FYI, the sheets aren't terribly soft, but after washing them they did soften up quite a bit and that was without fabric softener.  I'm sure if you use some, they'll be even softer.  I figured for a duvet cover, this wasn't a problem at all because they're still soft, they're not itchy, and my daughter will have a sheet between her and the duvet anyway.  Now the sheet measures 98" L x 66" W and I had this Ikea comforter already, which measures 86" L x 64" W, so I decided to leave the width of the sheets as they came and to cut the length down 10 inches, so to 88", giving me one inch on all sides to work with.

To start, I laid one of the sheets down, face-side up, and pinned the pom trim to the edge with the balls facing inward, that way when it was turned right-side out, they would be on the outside too (sorry, no pictures of this part!).  I sewed the pom trim down first so that it would be easier to sew the second sheet on top.

Before attaching the second sheet, I cut 4 strips of fabric from remnant parts of the sheets that measured 18 inches long each.  I just cut right along the original hem so that they were all thick and already sewn together; again no pictures, I apologize.  I then folded them in half and attached them to the corners of the duvet on the sides, top and bottom, about 2 inches in.


I sewed over them twice and then they got a third stitch when I sewed on the second sheet, so they're nice and secure and ready to hold the comforter in place.


After the pom trim was attached, I laid the second sheet on top, face down, and sewed along the sides and the top.  At the bottom, where you put the comforter inside, I stitched across six inches from both ends. 


For the last step, I attached 4 pieces of Velcro, each 3 inches long, that were evenly spaced along the bottom.  Make sure that you fold the pom trim under so that it's lined up with the sides.


Now you're done!  Put your comforter inside to make sure it fits right and you're ready to use your brand new, totally custom and very inexpensive duvet cover.


And yes, I photographed it on our bed because currently, our daughter sleeps on a mattress on the floor.  Oh the trouble with living with your in-laws.  But whatever, it's good for her; builds character.

So, do any of you struggle like I do with finding duvet covers or am I just insanely picky?