Monday, October 14, 2013

Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup

Have you ever tried one of those rotisserie chickens from Costco?  They're only $4.99 and they're really good.  However, we love trying to make our own versions of things we love, so we made rotisserie chicken last Sunday for dinner.  It was moist, tender and full of flavor; everything that chicken should ever be.  Since my brother-in-law and his girlfriend were coming to dinner, we did two chickens...and ended up with a ton of leftovers.  My husband suggested I use it to make chicken noodle soup, so I did and it was delicious.  The day I made it the weather was cold and rainy, a perfect fall day, and the perfect day for homemade soup.


This served four adults, an almost three-year-old boy and a 1 year-old-girl, with about a cup left over.  So, ya know, make of that what you will (sorry, I didn't get a chance to measure how much it made before it was eaten).



Here's what you'll need:

2 cups mini farfalle
two 32 oz. cartons of low-sodium chicken stock
2 cups water
3 cups rotisserie chicken, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups cubed carrots
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1/4 tsp. (heaping) dried thyme
1/4 tsp. (heaping) dried rosemary
1/4 tsp. (heaping) dried oregano
1/4 tsp. black ground pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Heat oil in stock pot and saute onions until translucent.  Add carrots and cook a few minutes.  Add chicken stock, water, chicken and seasonings and stir to combine.  Bring to a boil and add pasta.  Cook until tender.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.

I made these amazing cheese stuffed pretzels to go with the soup because they looked delicious, and they were.  In fact, I doubled the recipe, and today there are no more left.  Which is really sad too because I only one.  Anyway, check out that recipe.  My dear friend, Carrian, does not disappoint.