Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fairy Wands

 
This year for Halloween, my kids are dressing up as Peter Pan and Tinkerbell.  I'll do a post on their costumes later, but for now I wanted to share how I made my daughter's wand.

Supplies:
wooden dowel, 3/8"
white glitter fabric
cotton balls
organza ribbon, 1/8"
acrylic paint/spray paint
hot glue gun
sewing machine

To start off, draw or print out the shape you want onto a piece of card stock.  My star measures 3.5x3.5" and my heart measures 2.5x2.5".  Use your pattern to cut out pieces of your glitter fabric.  With right sides facing out, sew along the edges leaving a small opening at the bottom that's large enough for you to stuff cotton balls inside.  I don't have any pictures of this step, but I did this by tearing the cotton balls into small pieces and then I used tweezers to shove them inside.  For the star, make sure you start out with really small pieces to fit into the points, and then work from there.  After you've stuffed it as much as you want, then finish sewing leaving a small enough hole for the dowel to fit in.


Cut your dowel to the length you want, I cut mine to 12", and if needed, sand the ends smooth.  Then paint your dowel and let it dry.  Once it's dry, cut four strips of ribbon, mine were 9" long, and hot glue them around the top, like pictured.  You can curl your ribbons or leave them as they are; it just depends on the look you're going for.


Once your ribbons are attached, put your glue gun inside your heart or star, squeeze a fair amount of glue inside and shove the dowel in, squeezing the fabric around it to make sure it attaches securely.  Let it dry and you're done!