Friday, October 4, 2013

DIY Fall Wreath


We currently live with my in-laws, so I don't get to do any decorating because, well, what's the point?  But I decided I wanted to make something to make our home a little more festive during my favorite season of the year.  So I came up with this very simple, yet adorable fall wreath.  I love that it's for all of fall, so I can have it up from September through November.  I am so happy with how it turned out and I'm excited to share it with you today. 

To get started, here's what you'll need:


  • 1 straw wreath - mine is 14", but you can use whatever size you want
  • faux leaves - I bought two different kinds to add interest
  • embellishments - I used faux pumpkins and beads, but you could use acorns, mini squash, Indian corn, really the sky's the limit
  • twine and fabric for pennant banner - I used some linen I had on hand
  • a paint pen
  • hot glue gun and glue
OK, to start off, you layer the leaves.  They don't have to be perfect, in fact, the messier the better because it will look more natural, like the leaves just fell that way.


I also didn't bother to cover up the inside or outside of the wreath too much.  I think the straw fits in perfectly with the fall theme, so I wanted a little bit of it to peak out.

 


When you're done, add your embellishments.  I was going for a little more simple, so I did a cluster of 3 faux pumpkins with some beading and called it good. 



Then create your bunting.  I hot glued the fabric to the twine, tied knots on the ends and then hot glued it to the wreath, right underneath the knots.



To hang my wreath, I wrapped a long strand of twine around the top and tied a double-knotted bow at the end.  Then I looped it around a command hook hung upside down on the inside of our front door.  I love doing it this way because I can adjust the height of the wreath so it hangs exactly where I want it too.  With a window on the door, an over-the-door hanger would have it too high up and it would just look funny.



And there you go!  A very simple, inexpensive Fall wreath.  This cost me just under $20 to make.  While I was at the craft store, I looked at the premade wreaths they were selling; I didn't love them and they were upwards of $200!  So this was definitely a better route for me to go.  If you make one and share it on your blog or site, link to it in the comments.  I would love to see your finished products!