Friday, April 5, 2013

favorite products: for baby

When you're expecting a baby, you hear about all of these "must have" items and getting ready for your bundle of joy can seem very overwhelming.  Well, the truth is, you don't really need every little thing that's on that registry list or that your neighbor says you can't do without.  Like a wipes warmer.  I think something like that is much more of a hassle (and unnecessary expense) than it's worth.  We've never used one and both of our kids do just fine with a regular, cold wipe.  I am a minimalist and after having two babies, I have a pretty good idea of what's necessary and what's not, so I thought I would round up some of my favorite newborn essentials.


Car Seat: This one's pretty obvious as to its importance, but with so many options out there, it can be daunting for parents to decide what is the best.  I worked at Babies R Us for a couple years and I learned what brands were the best (and which ones to avoid).  The Chicco is an excellent brand to go with.  It's a European brand, made using the same plastic and padding that's used in motorcycle helmets, it's lightweight (compared to many other models), and it's durable.  We have the one shown and it's wonderful and easy to use.

Stroller: We also have this double stroller.  It's easy to use, lightweight (for its size), durable, folds down compactly (again, for its size), and is easy to use.  We love this stroller and so do the kids!

Nursing Pads: Lansinoh nursing pads are really great.  These are the disposable kind, they have an adhesive backing so they stick to your bra and stay put, and they're very absorbent.  A must for me during those first few weeks of nursing.

Butt Paste: We have used every type of diaper rash cream there is, but we always go back to Boudreaux's Butt Paste.  It works fast, doesn't have a strong smell, and the name hilarious.

Nipple Cream: With my son, I used a lanolin cream and it was great, but with my daughter, I used this Gerber brand nipple cream.  It's all natural, made out of plant materials, hypoallergenic, and it's not as thick as lanolin cream which means easier clean up.  But either way, they're both safe for baby to digest, so you don't have to wipe them off.  I start using these in my third trimester and it's helped keep the pain of early nursing at a more tolerable level.

Nursing Cover: If you're going to be nursing and you want a cover, Udder Covers are a great way to go.  They're cute and affordable, plus that adjustable strap makes nursing much more convenient than trying to use a blanket.

Lavendar Calming Wash and Lavendar Calming Lotion: My whole life I have been plagued with dry skin, but Aveeno has always been a great product for me.  My poor children suffer from dry skin too, so Aveeno is a must in our house.  In addition to the calming affects of the lavendar which helps them settle down at bedtime, it also smells wonderful.  I could just smell their little heads all day.

Sleeper Gowns: For newborn babies, these are my favorite jammies.  They make nighttime diaper changes a cinch and since newborns tend to be all curled up most of the time, they're easier than trying to get their little legs into the leg/foot hole of sleeper pajamas.  Plus, babies look so darn adorable in these.  I about die every time I see a newborn wearing them.  Also, I'm kind of impartial to the Carter's brand.  They're super soft, hold up well after multiple uses, and the price is great.

Onesies: Carter's, again.  I love their onesies.  They're longer than other brands, therefore your baby can wear them longer.  I just think Carter's has it right with their sizing overall.  Plus, a onesie is an easy and simple outfit for your newborn in the warm months.  They can be dressed up or down or worn on their own.  Takes a lot of the fuss out of getting those infants dressed.

I hope this helps any of you expectant parents out there.  In the world of babies, there are so many products it can really be hard to know what you absolutely need.  Most of the time, the best way to figure out what does and doesn't work for you and your baby is through trial and error.