Wednesday, May 21, 2014

eDesign - Family Room Makeover and Kitchen Remodel

I've been wanting to gain experience in edesign and my mom was happy to help me out by being my first "client."  Even though she and my dad aren't currently looking to do any home updates, they do want to eventually make some changes to their home.  I had her fill out my questionnaire and then I was able to get started.

Here's what she said she wanted for her home.

"We currently have tile and I want to change that to hardwood flooring.  We'd like to upgrade to a flat screen TV with a nice entertainment console instead of an entertainment center.  A new sofa and some chairs, maybe recliners, would be good, but we don't want a sectional.  I like the wall color and my wall decor, so those will stay.  I'd also like a nicer rug for the family room too.  For the kitchen, I want to refinish/repaint the cabinets, maybe a new back splash and counter top, and new bar stools."

She described her design style as traditional, so she likes things that are more ornate, classic, and elegant.  Colors she likes are warm tones (reds, oranges, golds and browns) and neutrals and whites, but the colors she wanted left out are pastels.  And she said that the furniture stores she likes to shop at are Haverty's and Broyhill.  With all of that information, I got to work.

This was a really good experience for me because my mom's style is very different from my own, so doing this forced me outside of my design comfort zone and made me think in terms of what she would like instead of what I like.


Here is what their home currently looks like.




The style is very traditional and very much on trend for when the house was built in 2005, but it's very dark and a little dated, so a refresh would be great for this space.  So here's what I came up with using the information she gave me.

sources // sofa / rug / media console // recliners // side table // ottoman

For the family room, I went with a softer color pallet to give the room a more relaxed feel.  I mixed modern and traditional items together to help keep the room a little more clean and simple while still maintaining the more classic look that my mom loves so much.


sources // bar stool // faucet 1 / faucet 2 / sink / black blue paint / pigeon paint / counter top / hardwood floor / fabric / subway tile / roman shades

I did the same thing in the kitchen, mixing modern and traditional.  Subway tile is very classic and clean, but I love the brass faucets and how they make the space feel much more modern and on trend.  Installing a white sink also helps to brighten up the space and, in my opinion, white porcelain always looks cleaner than a metal sink.  Replacing the valances with roman shades also updates the look and feel of the room and mounting the shades above the windows makes them appear taller, as you can see with how the valances currently hang.  The counter tops are currently granite, which is so durable and beautiful, but their granite is really dark, so I thought a white quarts would look really great, especially with the paint colors we've chosen for the cabinets.  Quarts is great because it gives the appearance of marble with the same durability as granite.  My mom wants to update the dark green tile flooring they have to hardwood flooring; they have tile in their entryway, the main hallway, and in their kitchen.  I love wide plank hardwood because of its rustic look and feel and I especially love woods with lots of grain and knots in them.  The Jasper prefinished oak is gorgeous and would look great in their home, plus it's $2.59 per square foot, so a really great price as well, especially for hardwood floors.

I really wish that my parents could do this to their home now because it would be amazing to be able to see this all come together in reality, but unfortunately this is a project that will have to wait.

Currently, I'm looking to offer design services in exchange for experience.  If you're interested in working with me (for free!), then you can fill out my questionnaire form here and I'll be get in contact with you so we can begin the process.  So what do you think about my parents' space?  What changes would you make?