Thursday, May 1, 2014

Denver

Last week we took a last minute trip to Denver to see family and it was so fun!  We were only in Denver for two days, so we didn't get to see a whole lot, but we did eat at some really good places.


So ever since my husband saw the Cherry Cricket on an episode of Man vs. Food, he's been dying to go.  He's a lover of pretty much all things meat and their burgers really had him hoping for a trip to Denver ASAP.  Their food was really good and the atmosphere was pretty cool.  It's a bar, but they have seating in the back away from the bar, which was great for us with our two kids.  The staff is super friendly and the food was seriously good.  My sister-in-law ordered the fried mac and cheese wedges and they actually weren't that bad.  I'm not a huge fan of fried food, but I enjoyed one.  I got a turkey burger with cream cheese, avocado, and bacon and it was awesome.  The list of toppings they have to choose from is insanely good (and long!).  If you're in Denver and want a great burger, go to the Cherry Cricket.


Little Man Ice Cream.  I can't say enough about how good it was, so I'll just tell you that you have to go, and get the cookie dough.  Also, for every scoop of ice cream they sell, they give a scoop of rice or beans to communities around the world with people in need.  I'm all for a good cause and if we lived in Denver, we'd go there often.  Getting ice cream while helping give back?  I'm so in.


After lunch, we went to the 16th Street Mall and walked around. 



The kids got some fun balloons made.  This guy was really good, he made an airplane for our son and a butterfly for our daughter.  The kids loved them!


My sister-in-law lives just up the road from the stadium where the Broncos play, so of course we had to stop there for a bit.


The next day, we went out to Morrison where the Red Rocks Amphitheater is.  We stopped for lunch at Tony Rigatoni's, which was also super good.  I had the shrimp scampi, and if you're a garlic lover, then this is the dish for you.


The amphitheater was incredible.  These huge red rocks literally jut out from nowhere and they're so gorgeous.  There were a ton of people there working out and I was very envious of them.  I would love to have a place like this nearby to work out at!

on her // shorts - H&M (not online) similar // top - Gap outlet, similar // sandals Gap 
on him // shorts - cutoffs I made, I like these // t-shirt Zara // sandals Old Navy


After visiting the amphitheater, we went to Golden to the Colorado Railroad Museum.


We were there on Friday, but if you can, go on a Saturday because they do train rides.  It was a really cool little museum and the kids had a blast.  They both cried when it was time to leave, partly because they were exhausted, but mostly because they loved it that much.


How gorgeous is the interior of this passenger car!?  It's from the lat 1800s and I couldn't get over the colors.  Beautiful.







After the train museum, it was time for us to head home.  We split the 8 hour drive up into two-4 hour drives because the kids (and myself) are not big fans of long car rides.  The drive was amazing though!  If you ever get the chance, drive through Glenwood Canyon.  It's amazing!  Thanks for such a great time, Denver.  We look forward to visiting again!