Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Abstract Art

I'm not an artist and I won't even pretend to be one.  I took art classes all throughout grade school and I couldn't ever get my drawings to look right.  I can't paint beautiful landscape settings or gorgeous portraits.  What I can do is blend colors together and let my emotions guide the brush.

Abstract art is something that I've been drawn to for as long as I can remember.  I'm a very visual person, but I also look for art that evokes some feeling of emotion, which I think most people do.  That's why when I painted this canvas, rather than focusing on making it really pretty and perfect, I let my emotions take control and it resulted in a piece of art that I love and am proud of, because it represents me and how I was feeling when I painted it.  I was able to transfer those emotions from myself to the canvas and, to be honest, they weren't the best feelings, so when I was done, I actually felt a lot better.  Maybe I need more painting in my life?

I found this canvas with an old painting on it at our local antique shop.  It measures 38x22 and I loved it for it's size.  The painting on it had a lot of damage to it and it was actually painted on some paper that was attached to the canvas and there was no signature or name of any kind, so we couldn't even contact the artist because none of us knew who it was made by.  It was ripping off all the way around and it was just in really terrible shape.  I bought it for $7, which I think I could have bought it for even less, but the guy was asking $10 and I'm terrible at haggling, so I still consider this a great deal.


See that damage?  I didn't get a picture of the painting, but it was even worse.  The canvas itself, however, even with the stains, was still in good enough condition to be painted over.


The canvas was pulling away from the wood frame, so I went all the around with a hot glue gun to secure it down.  Then I wiped down the canvas front and back and the frame with a damp cloth to remove any dust or other loose particles.  After it was clean and dry, I painted the entire thing white, including around the edges so that it would have a crisp look.  I used Delta Creative Ceramcoat in white to cover the canvas as well as in my actual painting.  The other colors I used were Metallic 14K Gold by Delta Creative, and Zinc, Navy Blue, and Warm White by Americana.


Here's the finished product.  I love that it's totally unique and custom made, but like I said, what I love most about it is that it reflects me and that I actually painted something I like!