Friday, October 18, 2013

responsibility

I try not to get into discussions about politics, but yesterday I listened to President Obama's speech about the end of the government shutdown and while there were many things that stuck out to me, the one that really stuck out to (and bothered) me the most was how he kept placing blame on the House and the Republicans.  He specifically said that thanks to the Senate and Responsible Republicans, they were able to finally end the government shutdown, however temporarily.  It bothered me that he was putting all of the responsibility for the shutdown on a few people, when it's my belief that it's all of their fault, combined, including the President himself.  That being said, I thought more about the idea of "responsibility."  It seems that more and more people are shirking their responsibilities or placing blame on others rather than being adult enough to say, "It was me.  I did that."  What kind of message are we sending to our children when we behave this way?  Growing up I would always hear the older generations refer to their childhood and how they had more "responsibility" at our age and that we lacked respect and maturity.  Well, they were right.  I think it's time for us to stand up and hold ourselves accountable for the example we're setting for the next generation(s) to follow us.  It's time for us to take responsibility for the things we say and do.  It's time for us to be responsible and act like the adults we claim to be.  It's time.

via