Monday, September 23, 2013

classic chocolate chip cookies

I'm not a food blogger, but I do love food and I love to cook.

I made these cookies for a funeral we went to on Saturday.  The service was beautiful, honoring a man from our Church who lived a long and full life.  We were asked to bring 3 dozen cookies and while I love trying new and different recipes, my heart will always belong to the classic chocolate chip.  They're definitely best fresh from the oven, with a glass of cold milk.  I adapted this recipe a little to better suit our taste, but the original is from this cookbook.  We bought this book several years ago when we were engaged and have been more than pleased with it.  We love every recipe we've tried so far and it's great when you're not cooking for a lot of people.

I'm also no food photographer, but oh well
These cookies are chewy in the middle with a little bit of crisp on the edge, just the way I like them.  Good thing these were going somewhere else; I may have eaten far too many of the 4 dozen this recipe makes.

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, well-beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and sift together with a whisk for a couple minutes to incorporate air.  Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars.  After a couple of minutes, stop mixer and scrape down sides.  Continue to cream until the mixture is light and fluffy.  *for great tips on the creaming method, refer here*  Add eggs and vanilla and mix.  Slowly add flour mixture.  Add chocolate chips.

Measure out 1 tablespoon size balls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes in oven; for convection (which is what I use), bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden.  Let cool on pan a couple minutes and then move to cooling rack.  Enjoy!

Tip: for even softer cookies, try adding 2 tsp. cornstarch to the mixture (add it in with the dry ingredients).  I've done this in other recipes and the result is wonderful.